The "Oxford University and City Gliding Club" had its inaugural meeting at Christchurch college in
Oxford on 2nd December 1937 and flying began in spring 1938 at Cumnor meadow. Members had to build
an access road, a bridge over a ditch, and a basic hangar.
The fleet consisted of two Dagling primaries, one of which had a streamlined nacelle. The other is shown below. The
famous gliding pioneer, Robert Kronfeld became manager and CFI of the Club in June 1938. Club pilots and gliders took part
in a public Air Show at RAF Upper Heyford in the summer of 1938.
||The Club moved to the Chiltern ridge at Aston Rowant, for the 1939 season. The formation of the
Oxford Gliding Co. Ltd. dates from 1939, including the original £4,000 share capital which remains on the books. On the outbreak of war in 1939, recreational flying ceased. The club reformed at Kidlington in 1951. An increase in powered aircraft activity at Kidlington resulted in the club
relocating to Weston on the Green in 1956.
The airfield has been active since 1918.
An article published in the December 1979 issue of Sailplane & Gliding includes the following intriguing paragraph:
1930: The Oxford GC were the first to try auto-towing following an article on this method carried out in America.
A Zogling was used with about 450ft of rope to give launches to approximately 250ft.
Click here for an aerial photograph